When you hear the words “south beach body” what instantly springs to mind?
For me it’s got to be beautiful bikini clad women, ripped men and of course, beach volleyball. The fortunate ones have genetics to thank for their perfect physique. Others have had to earn it.
But for those who want it, means a few lifestyle changes are in order.
Eating “clean”, the right exercise and sheer determination should get you south beach ready. If you want to know how to get the south beach body, I’d like to share some top ways to achieve it with you.
1# Cram in the Cardio
- You need cardio in your life if south beach is calling.
- Increasing your heart rate and moving into the fat burning zone is a foundation for slimming down and toning up the body.
- Running, cycling, interval training and HIIT workouts are all great forms of cardio.
- Aim for at least 5 cardio workouts per week.
2# Choose your Carbs Wisely
- We can’t talk about the south beach body, without mentioning one of the most well known diets out there.
- The popular “south beach diet” was founded by Dr. Arthur Agatston. His ethos is all based upon not cutting carbs, but choosing to include “good” carbs”.
- “Good” carbs are considered to be of a low GI (glycemic index).
- The glycemic index is a measurement used after consumption of carbohydrates.
- The lower the glycemic index the steadier release of energy. This is deemed better for both fat and weight loss.
- Low GI foods are considered to be fruits and vegetables, legumes and whole grains such as brown rice, bulgur wheat or quinoa.
3# Line up Lean Protein
- For that south beach body try adding protein to every meal.
- Not only is protein essential for muscle repair but it’s also great fuel for the powerhouse of the body.
- Protein is a good for satiety, which means if you are slashing calories it could help you feel fuller for longer.
4# Start up Strength and Tone
- Strength training is another activity which should be included in the south beach body plan.
- In fact National Institutes of Health suggests combining strength and cardio exercise allows greater benefits for fat and weight loss.
- This is ideal for toning the body and creating definition.
- Strength training builds lean muscle which will help you to burn more calories and melt fat.
- Focus on working different areas of the body each session to keep things varied and reduce the risk of injury.
5# Go Heavy on H20
Did you know our bodies are made up of about 60% water? Not only does drinking water have many health benefits, it could also help you to get the south beach body. Water is a great way to revitalize muscles and prevent fatigue which is important for workouts. There’s also good news for those cutting back on calories. Drinking a cold glass of water before a meal could not only help you curb your appetite, but could boost your metabolism too.
By combining a healthy approach to diet along with effective exercise achieving the south beach body won’t just be a dream, it should be a reality.